Darkphoenix

Darkphoenix

I am passionate about books and read pretty much all kinds of books, ranging from Comics to classics and a whole lot in between. I am also a compulsive reader. This Blog is about I feel about those books.

Clockwork Angel (Graphic Novel)
HyeKyung Baek, Cassandra Clare
All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
The Odyssey - Homer, E.V. Rieu, Peter Jones, D.C.H. Rieu ok, so how do you rate a classic? i am a big fan of the classical mythologies (Greek and Roman) and i have been obsessed by all things Greek since i read The Illiad for the 1st time in school.. i read the Odyssey not long after that, a version that was translated by Samuel Butler. the one i just finished is translated by E. V. Rieu. and while i love the book itself i cant say the same for this particular version.Rieu translated this book with the objective of making it more approachable for people. i have a lot of friends who refuse to read Shakespeare and other classics because they feel daunted and intimidated by the language, so to a point i agree with what he sets out to do.my problem is that some of the words he uses and also the way he frames certain sentences actually take away from Homer's epic. the devices he uses are jarring because they immediately pull me out of the storytelling experience. they stick out like a sore thumb.the reason i'm not talking about Butler is because i read his translation a long time ago. but from what i do remember, somehow even his narrative was more engaging. anyway, if you are planning to read the Odyssey, i would suggest reading Butler's, it is just way better.