Darkphoenix

Darkphoenix

I am passionate about books and read pretty much all kinds of books, ranging from Comics to classics and a whole lot in between. I am also a compulsive reader. This Blog is about I feel about those books.

Clockwork Angel (Graphic Novel)
HyeKyung Baek, Cassandra Clare
All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
Before I Wake - Rachel Vincent I was sucked into the world created by Rachel Vincent from the very beginning of the first book like a huge whirlpool sucks in a small boat. I’m only surprised that it took me this long to get around to reading it. I actually decided to read the series after Jus Accardo gave all the books 5 stars, which I thought was very high praise . And after having read the 6 books I can honestly say she didn’t exaggerate. I read the books one after the other so it actually felt like I was reading the Soul Screamers Omnibus, which is also why I didn’t write a review for any of the other books, I simply did not have time to write one. So this is a combined review for pretty much the whole series. These books are just intense from beginning to end, Vincent just doesn’t let up, even for a bit. I feel like I’m gonna have a heart attack until I finish the book. Not to mention that its close to impossible to put the books down. Its usually very difficult for an author to maintain that kind of tension in every book but Vincent does it in book after book. There were times I was close to having a panic attack of my own. This is one of the few series that I read back to back, one after the other, and that sometimes becomes tiresome because either the plot becomes repetitive, or the story loses steam after being stretched beyond what it should have been and sometimes, it just becomes boring. Not so with the Soul Screamers Series. If anything, I am more obsessed now than I was when I first started the series. Now for the characters, I love Kaylee. She is compelling, strong, selfless and yet also makes mistakes which makes her human and more relatable. And I loved the way she grew into a stronger person and became more sure of herself in Before I Wake . As for Nash, I liked him in the first 2 books but he was too nice and they seemed a little too well suited for each other for it to really last (if that makes any sense) it seemed like it was too good to be true and it was. Tod was a way more fun not to mention funny. He was also so irreverent that it was welcome given how intense the books tend to get. And I prefer Kaylee and him way more than when she was with Nash. I also love Emma; she was one of my favourite characters in the series, very lovable. (Which is why I still can’t believe that Vincent killed her off the second last book! Ok, maybe she didn’t die in the traditional sense, but still, it was such a shock. But I guess readers should’ve seen that coming given how many times she’s come close to dying (and died once already) and it was ingenious, the way she used Lydia. Definitely did not see that coming! Sophie is still as annoying as always though maybe not so much now than she was earlier. And Sabine is still an acquired taste. Though, I have to say that she does kinda grow on you by book 6. Then there’s Avari, a truly diabolical villain. One of the best villains I have come across in YA Fiction in quite some time. The last book comes out next year in March, I think, and it will be nothing short of torture to wait that long. The way the story’s been building up, I’m sure the finale will most definitely be extraordinary and epic!